Friday, August 5, 2011

Sweet Home Virginia

Hi - its McKenna.    I am going to blog about our time in Virginia with my great aunt and uncle.  This was the view from their back porch.

Pretty, huh?  That is my dad in the corner getting ready to do the thing that I loved the most about my time in Virginia...FISHING! 

Before I go into that, when we first got there, it was late and Great Uncle Rick gave me some grape juice and a grilled cheese sandwich and it tasted really good.  It had American cheese on it which my mom does not like at all but I thought it tasted great!

When we woke up in the morning, I woke up to two new faces - Great Aunt Donna and her son, Brian.  He taught me how to fish.  But before that, I found that they had a treadmill so I hopped on and set it to 1.9 and it would make me & Sydney fall off the back if we just stood there.  I called it "the candy machine".  It was really fun and I also did some running to get me ready for soccer.

Back to fishing, Brian got our fishing poles set up and all he said was "Hold this and click the button and when you are ready to release it, just let go."  Now, there was a white bobber with a red stripe that floats on the water.  When you see it go under the water, you know that a fish has taken your bait which was a night crawler or worm.  Here is a picture...


In this pond, there were blue gill, big & small mouth bass, snapping turtles, and lots of bugs.  And there were a million crickets jumping thru the grass.  After about 10 seconds, I caught my first fish - a blue gill.  Then my mom told me to hold it up so she could take a piucture and here it is!


At this point, I had not touched the bait or the fish with my own hands.  Daddy helped me take it off the hook and then put the fish's lips on my back and then my cheek - GROSS!  My dad helped me put bait on again and I kept fishing and I caught 14 fish!  My family said I was the best fisher girl EVER!  But then my dad said that if I wanted to keep fishing, I had to learn how to put the worm on the hook and take the fish off the hook.  And I did  - the fish was less gross than the worms.  I also named some of the fish that I caught like Mr. Seaweed, doing-doing, Jo-Jo, Nemo, Slimy.   Here I am with Slimy!  The top of the fish was spiky so you had to hold it a certain way. 

Later that day, my third cousins came over and I played with the youngest, Josie a lot and we fished together.  Then, my dad, mom, sister, Josie and me decided to walk to the other side of the lake to see if we could catch a bigger fish and that is where the real trouble started.  We came around the corner and dad was leading the pack and he yelled "Youchers" and grabbed his ankle and said that he got bit by something and it hurt very bad.  Then my mom yelled OOOH! and she got bit.  And then my sister started to cry very loud and she got bit too and saw the bug fly off her leg.  It was kinda like the 3 bears - my dad bitten really hard, my mom got bitten and it didn't hurt at all, and my sister got bitten and it hurt and it didn't hurt all at the same time.  Me and Josie started running for our lives because we didn't want to get stung.  We turned around and noticed a bunch of yellow jackets flying out of a hole near the bottom of a tree.  That is what got them!!  We changed our fishing plans and came back to safe territory.  My dad's ankle swelled up really bad and it hurt him for about a week before a huge bruise showed up.  My mom and sister were fine after a day or so.

My sister caught some fish too!

We also took a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway and went to a place called Mayberry Mill which had a lot of old buildings and stuff from back in history.  We also went to a farmers market and there was a cute cat there and I ate a yummy nectarine.


Sometimes, I get sick of my mom always taking my picture.

Shout outs to Great Aunt Donna, Great Uncle Rick, all of the people who are reading this blog, Grammy Lynn, and Dawber.

Love, McKenna

No comments:

Post a Comment