Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Creepy Cave

Hi its Sydney...we have now been home for a month and a week or so and we really want to finish the blog from the BFT!

So, to catch you all up, we left Atlanta and drove across 4 states..Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas to our next stop, the Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico.  We left Atlanta at 5 in the morning and our AC was not working and it was 85 degrees.  It took us 2 days to get there.  We drove to Jackson, Mississippi and stopped at another car place to see about getting our car fixed and whatever they did, it worked because we had AC for the rest of the trip!!!  This car place had candy and donuts in their little office place so McKenna and I were so excited!

We stayed our first night in Texas where we ate BBQ for dinner and that was about all we did there.  We saw lots of dead armadillos on the side of the freeway and it was really hot there!  On our way into Carlsbad, we stopped at a place to get Ice Cream and when we walked in, there were so many flies flying around.  We really wanted ice cream but this ice cream was the worst thing I had ever tasted...it tasted like chalk.  We nicknamed this place "Flies & Pies". 


We stayed at the Carlsbad KOA and they had a swimming pool!  My favorite!  We took our time getting up in the morning and after a quick dip in the pool,  we headed to the caverns. 

We checked in and we got a brochure that told us all about the caverns.  My sister and I got our junior ranger stuff and started filling it out as much as we could.  We then took a trail to the entrance of the caverns.  The entrance looked like a big black hole and it was little scary at first.   The ranger told us to go to the bathroom before we entered the cave because there are no bathrooms until the end.  She told us that people go poop down there because they have to go so bad.  Yuck!

My sister got a little scared so I walked up ahead with my dad while she was back with my mom.  We saw all of this stuff that looked like snow but it was stalactites and stalagmites.  And it was cold in the caves.  BRRRR!

You couldn't touch them because the dirt on our hands would ruin them.  There was one part that they called    "Fairy land" or something like that...it was pretty neat and there were sparkles all around. 

We saw lots of black holes where you couldn't see the bottom.  When we got to the end, there were bathrooms and stores at the end...how did they build them down there?  We then took the elevator back up to the main floor, the worker lady asked how many fossils we could see on the wall going up.  My dad guessed 100 but the right answer was...I forgot but my dad was wrong.

We had some time before the bat flight program started.  There are a bunch, maybe a million or so, bats that live in the caves and at a certain time at night, they all fly out.  So, we waited and waited and maybe only 100 flew out.  Not that great...my mom was talking to this guy in the parking lot by our car that said he thought it was lame and he had seen when it was little and it was way better.  oh well.

Here I am waiting with my junior ranger badge on!  My sister and me passed the test and we got this badge and a certificate. 

From Carlsbad, we drove to Sedona, Arizon where we spent 4 days seeing Sedona and the Grand Canyon.  My Grammy Lynn joined us on this part of the trip for 9 days.  We have lots of fun stories with her too. 

Even though I am home, I want to do shout outs to Rachel, Hadassah, Kait, Jess, and Dottie!

Bye!

Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment